Hi! We are the Sydney Knitting Nannas & Friends. We have fun hassling politicians, mining companies and anyone who does not look after the environment.
Knitting Nannas – Saving the land, air and water for the kiddies
Sydney Knitting Nannas and Friends peacefully protest against politicians and corporations responsible for environmental destruction and for Australia’s failure to act decisively on climate change.
We work to protect Australia’s water and land from gas and coal mining, which are expanding with the benefit of government support and taxpayer dollars. We campaign for a just transition to renewable energies, and to save native species and habitat.
We recognise the Traditional Custodians of the land and ask to walk with them to protect water, land and culture. We acknowledge that sovereignty was never ceded.
We are committed to non-violence and are not aligned to any political party.
Nannas know the next few years are critical ones for the planet because of climate change, which is already causing immense harm in this country and many others. Without decisive action by governments and communities climate change will further damage what peace and stability the world has, as millions of people are forced to leave their homelands.
You can help us to
- halt coal mining in Sydney’s water catchment
- stop coal seam gas extraction in NSW
- push for more climate action
- practice waste management strategies and teach others
- protect the habitat of our native animals and birds
You will benefit by
- meeting new like-minded people
- developing new friendships – we are a friendly bunch
- being well informed on environmental issues
We are a diverse group offering friendship, fun, information and lots of activities to suit the individual, including –
- knitting outside offices
- writing letters and submissions
- speaking at hearings
- organising social events which may include sign making, singing and/or video making for social media
- attending non-violent actions organised by other groups
Join us, the planet needs more voices
We meet weekly via Zoom on Fridays 9.30am – 11am to keep up to date on issues important to us and plot our next actions. New Nannas welcome – please contact by email or telephone to be included on the mailing list, to join our weekly zoom meetings and/or to participate in actions.
Knitting Nannas in other areas
Sydney Knitting Nannas
ACC: 442 462 616